The Blackthorpe Barn was built round 1550, probably by John Drury who had just acquired the Manor of Rougham through the dissolution of the great Benedictine abbey at Bury St. Edmunds in 1539.
It is timber framed with a vast, striking thatched roof measuring over 30 metres long. The barn’s purpose was to be used for the threshing and storage of grain and it continued as a grain store until 1985.
These days the threshing barn and the surrounding buildings are used for events including the festive craft market at Christmas and other art exhibitions during the year, as well as for weddings in the summer months. The Courtyard Café is regularly open at the weekends and other events take place during the year – see the events calendar or follow us on Facebook and Instagram to see what’s on.